How to Jump-Start a Car
If your vehicle won’t start, you likely need to jump-start your car battery. If you do not know how to properly jump-start a car, this guide from Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram can help. If your battery is in need of replacement, we can help with that, too.
The Proper Way to Jump-Start a Car
Before you get started, you will need to locate a set of jumper cables and find another vehicle to assist you. You can also call a jump-start car service like AAA. Once you have what you need, follow the steps below:
- The car with the good battery should be facing the other vehicle. That vehicle should be turned off. Check to make sure the parking brakes on both models are engaged.
- Open both hoods and find the batteries. You may need to remove a plastic hood to expose the battery terminals.
- Find the positive and negative terminals. They should be clean and free of any corrosion for this process to work safely.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- Connect the final clamp to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery first once everything is secure. Then it is time to start the car with the dead battery.
- Once the dead vehicle has been jump-started, carefully remove the jumper cables in the reverse order of how they were connected. Shut off the car that was assisting the vehicle with the dead battery.
- The engine on the vehicle that received the battery charge should run for at least 10 minutes to ensure that the problem does not happen again. Your owner’s manual should have more information on recommended charging times.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
If your car won’t jump-start, the battery may need to be replaced. However, this can also be a sign of a more complex issue:
- If the car doesn’t start and you hear a clicking sound, there could be a problem with the starter. Schedule service at Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram near Carlsbad for a replacement.
- If the electrical systems of the car turn on, but the engine will not turn over, the ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse could be the culprit. It is a good idea to bring your vehicle to a service center to be looked at by a professional.
- Be sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after getting the jump. That allows the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Trust Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram for Expert Service
Whether you need help with a new battery or other routine maintenance tasks, Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram would be glad to assist you. Our knowledgeable representatives can help answer any of your car-related questions, including any you have about the Mopar 426 Crate HEMI® Engine. Our service center is located just a short trip from Carlsbad, so visit us or contact us with any questions. For more, you can also learn how long your tires should last as well as when to rotate your tires, and even discover how long you should go before changing your spark plugs. Wondering what happens if you don’t change your oil? Let our experts tell you all about that as well!
More From Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
Jeep has a truly wonderful SUV in the Wrangler, and the 2020 Jeep Wrangler‘s towing capacity is a perfect addition to an already great vehicle. How much can a Jeep Wrangler tow, though? With the 2,000 or 3,500 pounds of Jeep Wrangler towing capacity, you’ve got more than enough to get small items through San Diego…
RAM 1500 InventoryContact Us Escondido, San Diego workers know that if you want top-notch performance, you need a diesel engine. However, with all their power diesel engines do have drawbacks. For one they are loud, which may be fine if you strictly use your vehicle on the job site, but if you also use it as a…
Jeep Compass for SaleLearn More If you’re a Escondido, San Diego driver who’s looking for a dependable and versatile SUV to take on your next DIY project or to upgrade your San Diego commute, look no further than the 2020 Jeep Compass. With six available trim levels for drivers to choose from, you can play it safe with…