How to Jump Start a Car
If your vehicle won’t start, you likely need to jump start your car battery. If you do not know how to properly jump start a car, this guide from Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram can help. If your battery is in need of replacement, we can help with that, too.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
Before you get started, you will need to locate a set of jumper cables and find another vehicle to assist you. You can also call a jump start car service like AAA. Once you have what you need, follow the steps below:
- The car with the good battery should be facing the other vehicle. That vehicle should be turned off. Check to make sure the parking brakes on both models are engaged.
- Open both hoods and find the batteries. You may need to remove a plastic hood to expose the battery terminals.
- Find the positive and negative terminals. They should be clean and free of any corrosion for this process to work safely.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- Connect the final clamp to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery first once everything is secure. Then it is time to start the car with the dead battery.
- Once the dead vehicle has been jump-started, carefully remove the jumper cables in the reverse order of how they were connected. Shut off the car that was assisting the vehicle with the dead battery.
- The engine on the vehicle that received the battery charge should run for at least 10 minutes to ensure that the problem does not happen again. Your owner’s manual should have more information on recommended charging times.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
If your car won’t jump start, the battery may need to be replaced. However, this can also be a sign of a more complex issue:
- If the car doesn’t start and you hear a clicking sound, there could be a problem with the starter. Schedule service at Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram near Carlsbad for a replacement.
- If the electrical systems of the car turn on, but the engine will not turn over, the ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse could be the culprit. It is a good idea to bring your vehicle to a service center to be looked at by a professional.
- Be sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after getting the jump. That allows the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Trust Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram for Expert Service
Whether you need help with a new battery or other routine maintenance tasks, Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram would be glad to assist you. Our knowledgeable representatives can help answer any of your car-related questions, including any you have about the Mopar 426 Crate HEMI® Engine. Our service center is located just a short trip from Carlsbad, so visit us or contact us with any questions.
More From Jack Powell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
If you’re looking for an off-road-capable SUV to upgrade your driving experience, then you’ve likely thought about the ever-popular Jeep Wrangler. The 2019 Jeep Wrangler is a fantastic model that gives San Diego and Carlsbad drivers exactly what they want in terms of off-road capability but also highlights a feature-filled interior. Find out exactly what makes…
Contact UsView InventoryLearn More Are you located in San Diego or Carlsbad and searching for a capable SUV that can go off-roading and comfortably transport you and your family from one destination to the next? Take a look at the 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, then, and discover all that it has to offer in its interior…
Contact Us Very few pickup trucks on the market are as powerful as the 2019 Ram 2500, which is a work-ready vehicle that can take on just about any workload you throw its way. With the Ram 2500, towing and hauling equipment in the San Diego and Carlsbad area has never been easier. The 2019 model…